I hate any cookie with oatmeal in it; so it’s unfortunate that Oatmeal Chocolate Chip is my husbands favourite. Saturday (of last week) I felt like baking and I love my husband, so Oatmeal Chocolate Chip it was.
I googled it and found this Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
I read all of the comments and modified the ingredients a bit. I ended up using the following:
– 1/2 cup butter
– 1/2 unsweetened apple sauce
– 1 cup packed light brown sugar
– 1 cup brown sugar
– 1/2 cup white sugar
– 2 eggs
– 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
– 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 3 cups steel cut quick-cooking oats
– 1 1/4 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips
I followed the directions exactly.
- Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, applesauce, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until just blended. Mix in the quick oats, walnuts, and chocolate chips. Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
My husband said they weren’t as good as the one’s his Granddad used to make, but I’m okay with that. There are some things you just don’t compete with.
I would make these again, for Jeff. They weren’t my favourite but our friends loved them. The steel cut oats seemed like they were still a little raw. It was all I had, next time I will buy the proper oats, nothing fancy.
I also had an unfortunate incident with the apple sauce. The jar opened a little too easily. I thought something had fallen into the jar before realizing I was actually staring at a thick layer of blue mold. (Barf noise.) It was actually disgusting. I went straight back to the grocery store and exchanged it, no problem. I have learned my lesson: Always check the seal! Do NOT buy anything with a popped lid. It is a scaring experience.
I must admit, I ate a lot of these cookies.